Thursday, September 17, 2009

Did you know 4.0

The latest video doing the rounds in marketing land that points to how the internet is where it's at and mobile internet is set to be even bigger:



Some nice stats in there and it's nicely executed. However, let's not all get carried away here, so to play devil's advocate I thought I'd put my critical hat on:

- There is still are huge amount of the world's population who do not have access to the internet or mobile

- Engagement with TV, radio and newspapers is altogether different to the internet. When I watch TV I will watch an entire TV programme, when I read a newspaper I will sit and read the whole newspaper. With the internet, attention spans are short. People jump from page to page. The amount of engagement online is so much lower and it's far harder to make a lasting impression. The stat in the video demonstrates this - the Iran election was trending on twitter. Then MJ died and people moved on to the next thing. I suppose this could be true of newspapers and TV also. Maybe all media has a short attention span? Books are the way forward.

The internet has however completely changed the way we live, and with mobile internet set to grow - this really is a revolutionary medium.

No comments: