Friday, April 11, 2008

What a load of bollards


I did this project last year as a way of improving ugly traffic bollards. This design was drawn in permanent marker. I'm currently looking at a way of reproducing the design so that I can apply it to more than one bollard. I also want to create a website that encourages artists in London to use the bollard as a street light box - why graffiti a wall when you can use these :)

I remember when I was in Brisbane, how wonderful it was that all of the signal boxes had been decorated by artists, this is actively encouraged by Brisbane city council and it adds so much to the city. London still has a lot to learn.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your artwork and I love the organic feel. Did you have to remove the bollard cover first and draw it at home or did you sit next to the bollard and draw straight onto it while it was attached? You have great patience.

Lee Washington said...

Thanks. It had already been removed when i found it, so i took it home and drew on it. I'll have to post the pictures of the drawing.