Sunday, October 18, 2009

Week One

A good start to the project, currently researching.

I visited Sustrans and spoke to them about their efforts to get more people cycling and what discourages people from cycling.

I spoke to the London Cycling Campaign about HGV vehicles - the biggest killer of cyclists on London's roads.

I did surveys at bus stops, asking people what were their reasons for not cycling - most replied to say that it was too dangerous and their were no showers at their work.

I've spent a great deal of time photographing cyclists behaviour and looking for design opportunities here.

I met a HGV driver and learnt about what it is like from their perspective, even getting the chance to sit in the cab and see the road from their point of view. Despite the mirrors their are still blind spots and when turning left, when the cab moves independently of the trailer, they lose a lot of rear vision. Plenty of opportunities here.

No comments: